Friday, January 8, 2010

BLOGLINE ENDEAVOR... 1991: Clandestine Opus I and II


Clandestine Opus I and II


Flashback, Spring 1991...

I was attending the Art Institute of Philadelphia from January 1991 to June 1993. During this period of time I was taking courses in Audio production, Video production, Business and Marketing. One aspect of audio that I found very fascinating was the incorporation of digital technology. I discovered a world where musical instruments were capable of communicating with each other through the use of a technology called MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface). This brought a whole new perspective to my music and to songwriting in general. I figured out it was limitless what you could do so long as you had the equipment to do so.

There were several acoustic instrumentals I had written around this time period, one song being 'Clandestine Opus I & II.' This was a mellow sounding acoustic instrumental that I felt required some sort of classical / new age instrumentation. Enter Floating Fish Studios...

After paying a visit to my friends Matt and Scott on several occasions (they own Floating Fish Studios), I saw what type of equipment they had at their disposal, I found it very interesting how they were using synthesizers to make music. I wasn't aware that a home computer was capable of recording several tracks of music and I was in awe when I watched Matt put together a piece of music they had been working on for their next Any Questions? recording (Any Questions? is the name of their band).

This not only prompted my admiration for a style of music that I had previously dismissed as rather commercial and uninteresting, but it inspired me to write music on a totally different plane from what I was used to.

Although 'Clandestine Opus I and II' still remains unfinished and unreleased to this day, it is only fitting that I include it here for the SUB ONE Blog. This was the beginning of a new relationship with technology and mark the foundation for what was to eventually become the Prismatic/SUB ONE enterprise.

'Clandestine Opus I and II', another classic from the SUB ONE archive...

CLICK HERE TO PLAY MP3

No comments:

Post a Comment